By Anne O'Brien
After the demise of her stepfather, girl Rosamund de Longsprey suggestion to prevent an prepared marriage with a repugnant guy through taking to her newly inherited lands. regardless of the deplorable stipulations and missed lands, Rose is decided to make it paintings as the substitute isn't really anything she is keen to do. regrettably for Rose, Lord Gervase Fitz Osbern is simply as made up our minds to take again his lands that have been stolen from his kin. Fitz Osbern exhibits up and quick takes keep watch over of the citadel a lot to the chagrin and annoyance of Rose. either are confident of sole possession, and either are obstinately attempting to oust the opposite. Neither one is keen to offer any flooring, nor will both one post. Will someone continue to exist? And who will lay declare to the lands?
I totally enjoyed this tale. I occurred upon this prize particularly by chance as i used to be shopping the cabinets of an area paperback trade book place. The blurb at the again stuck my consciousness, however it was once your time sooner than I opened it. i used to be quick stuck up within the tale and the characters; I quickly came across myself racing to learn to determine the way it could all finish. either Rose and Gervase are robust and dominate characters. fortunately, they stayed actual to these characteristics in the course of the tale and nonetheless had a really pleasant end.
The first scene we learn is of Gervase taking on the property. It comes throughout quite brutally, and that i came across myself asking the query "how am I to love this man?" Then, the tale flashes again 2 weeks and we see issues from the start and WOW. i used to be hooked.
What I enjoyed:
1. girl Rose--she is astounding! She is opinionated, made up our minds, crafty, proud, and clever. She is additionally compassionate and courageous. I enjoyed that she grew because the tale advanced. sure, she used to be blameless of some ways of the realm, yet she wasn't overly naïve and silly approximately it. She was once headstrong, occasionally to her detriment, yet consistently for a cause.
2. Lord Gervase--what a hottie! He was once robbed of his lands and stole them correct again. although he's an honorable knight, he performs the position of a rowdy brigand in hopes it is going to ship Rose working. His makes an attempt are quite humorous given that he betrays himself with acts of generosity and civility from time to time. And as soon as he cleans himself up...all his ordinary appeal fairly shines through.
3. Contess Petronilla and Lord Hugh de Mortimer--Rose's mom and Gervase's buddy extra a pleasant contact of sanity to stability out the bullheadedness of either Rose and Gervase. additionally, I enjoyed Rose's mother for simply being there and being a mother. She wasn't controlling, yet supportive.
4. The Undermining of Authority--I enjoyed the subtleties (and no longer so refined methods) utilized by either Rose and Gervase to achieve the higher hand. I additionally liked that it wasn't regularly person who got here out on best. in reality, it usually appeared judicious. It's infuriating to learn tales the place the lady is so naïve that she is needs to be rescued by means of an all understanding guy. the following, we had a well-balanced conflict the place nobody ever looked as if it would actually be accountable for the situation.
5. The Romance--with such headstrong humans, there's absolute to be sparks after they meet. They either slowly and carefully fall in love with the opposite. And it used to be effortless to work out why they enjoyed each one other.
6. The Ending--with either made up our minds to be the conqueror, it was once nail-biting to attend and notice how obdurate humans may come jointly with out filing. It was once good performed. I enjoyed how Rose placed to take advantage of the unorthodox suggestion of the Queen.
What I didn't like:
The merely factor that I didn't like was once the various flashbacks: it used to be a piece complicated now and then. Am I studying anything happening straight away? Or did this take place previously?
All in all, i actually loved this tale. It used to be a hugely pleasing tale with plausible characters and an emotional romance. this can be one I'm going to carry directly to and never ship again to the paperback trade shop.